Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Happy Mother's Day Mamas!

I hope all the mamas out there had a fabulous Mother's Day!  I, myself was VERY lazy and didn't do much all day.  It is usually pretty hard for me to rest and relax, so it was a nice treat.  I spent some time with my kiddos and SKYPEd (Is that a word?) with my mom.  I love that technology lets us see each other even though we are thousands of miles away. 

My parents live in Virgina, very close to Washington DC.  I talk about them often and their location has become a great frame of reference for our class when we are using the map.  I always try to connect to something the kids know.  Building and utilizing background knowledge is a great tool to help students develop new understanding.  Your teaching tidbit for the day!

I hope you all enjoyed your plates. I have already gotten a couple of very sweet comments and loved hearing how excited the kiddos were to present them to you. They were such fun to make and I love the way they turned out.   I treasure those things that are made by their hands and struggle to find time to make those things happen nowadays.  I am so glad I made them a priority!  You are loved so, so, so, so, so, so, so, much!  (In the words of a couple of my girls.  I think they believe if they fill the page up with "so" they have written "a lot".)

This week we finish up our District Assessments in Math and Writing.  I will continue assessing reading through next week to see how much our kiddos have grown this year.  I am so excited with their progress. 

Breakfast with Buddies WILL be this Friday!  Thank you to all the parents who have sent in contributions and are bringing donuts.  The kiddos have enjoyed the time spent with their 8th grade buddies and are sad to say goodbye ~ but somehow donuts seem to make everything better!  I will send out a reminder tomorrow!

A few other notes:
  • Remember the "Corky's"  Flip Flop Open House this week ~ today on EC from 2:30-4:30 and tomorrow on WC from 12:30-2:30.  Come see what's available and try on some samples. 
  • Tomorrow is our last minimum day!  K-2 dismissal is at 1:30.
  • All school library books are due FRIDAY.  Please check at home and make sure all books have been returned. 
  • The Family BBQ is next Friday.  Be sure to send in your ticket order form as soon as possible.
  • The 7th grade Medieval Faire is Friday, June 1st.  Students must have a signed permission slip to participate.  Games and treats will also be available.  Students must purchase tickets in advance.  An order form was sent home last week.  I will send home another next week.  $3.00 to $5.00 is plenty!  Free activities are available for all students not wishing to purchase ticket
  • The Friends and Neighbors Golf Tournament is also coming up.  Be sure to contact the office or see the school website if you would like to register to play, donate or volunteer.  All kinds of help is needed!

Blessings ~ Mrs. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment