So today I am linking up with Hope at 2nd Grade Shenanigans to talk about - organization! I am not the most organized person. I like to think that parts of my life are organized, but if you ask my husband I am sure he would have a different opinion. With four children I have to have something organized - don't I? I haven't lost any of them!
A few positives:
- At school I spent the better part of my Thanksgiving break sorting through my August, September, October and November boxes. I keep everything in these boxes, except for my theme books which have an entire shelf all their own. Inside each box I have my theme binder with all the masters and units and manila envelopes with each project inside. These are great when I am prepping because I can keep all the copies and various pieces inside. I usually put the specifics - how many of each, etc. on the outside. Makes it pretty easy for my parent volunteers.
- I have settled with a binder for my reading groups. I have a section for each group with a binder pocket and have a template for my small group lessons. This has helped me to stay on top of who I have seen and who needs to be seen. I also cleared out a file drawer in my desk, which is right behind my reading table, where I keep each groups books and small group materials right at hand. I have seen lots of ideas to use a cart to organize the "typical" reading group materials and I am planning on doing that too.
A few resolutions:
- When I moved to my new school two years ago everything got stuffed into any available space. In addition, I changed grade levels from 9 years of Kinder to a 1st/2nd combination. So the amount of "stuff" I collected grew and grew and grew! As the year progresses I hope to continue purging and organizing my boxes and purging my unused or dated materials.
- While my theme books are organized my month. . . Well, they look unsightly! They are on a long open shelf under one of my white boards. They contribute a ton of visual clutter because of the open shelving. So I hope to make these, from Simply Keirste, to create a cleaner look. They will cover it up but still have it be easily accessible.
- And then there is my classroom library! This had been on my to-do list for way too many years. 2013 is the year!
Happy Organization to you and yours!